Pessimistic (realistic) predictions for the 50th:
– The epic Dalek invasion / mass destruction scenes will come right at the end, and will amount to no more than 30 seconds in total.
– Some sort of deadly, surrounded by Daleks situation will not be solved by a clever McGuyver’d way out, but by technobabble and reversing polarities so that the Daleks suddenly back off comically.
– The Daleks will eventually be stopped by some more technonabble, probably with the result that their invasion “never happened”. It will likely involve the opening of the core of the Tardis again. “Can only be used once (has already been used twice)”, as that hilarious LM2 blog I found once said.
– 11 will have another lengthy, tearful goodbye with Rose, and probably kiss her.
– Some clue hidden at the start of the episode will point to the doubtless anticlimactic, “magic” ending.
– Captain Jack won’t be in it.
– Neither will any old Doctors (apart from the newly-revealed “warrior” one of course).
– The Daleks will be inexplicably teamed up, in an equal partnership, with at least one other monster (like the utterly ridiculous “cram them all in” Pandorica thing), even though they’re supposed to hate every other race and only manipulate them or use them as slaves (as we will hear in An Adventure in Space and Time, no doubt. They’re taking the piss out of us, aren’t they?). It will probably be The Great Intelligence, an omnipresent and very powerful foe. Though this episode appears to be set in The Time War, there’s been no mention of anything other than the Daleks being involved in it up until now. Kind of like saying World War 2 was just Britain against Germany and ignoring the USA, France, Japan and Russia entirely.
– Even when fighting in a war for their very existence, the Time Lords will be shown to be decadent and corrupt. To use another WW2 analogy, imagine if British people had carried on living as if it was the twenties in the forties?
– Elizabeth the First is going to be in it (already confirmed). It will be 11 who makes her angry, even though it was 10 that she recognised on sight.
– It will not be a complete episode, but “continued at Christmas”. Thus, in future years, it won’t be able to be sold as a feature length, one-off “quick introduction”, like The Five Doctors is now.
(Yes, I am aware some of these contradict the above).
– The storyline will involve time travel to many different periods in Earth’s history, and we’ll actually see something of them (not an alley and a Dansette, as “1969” was represented in the Weeping Angels one. Perhaps we’ll see 1973 with Gene Hunt!
– We will see the first Doctor, Susan and the junk yard, new scenes with David Bradley and Claudia Grant. Perhaps also the nearby school from Remembrance of the Daleks.
– Davros will be in it, we’ll see his “final death in the war” (which he survived).
– The Master (not John Simm, he’s in the future!) will briefly appear, but will hide himself and be branded a “deserter”.
– Captain Jack and/or The Face of Boe will be in it!
– The Cybermen won’t be in it. Their next epic storyline (their last epic storyline being in 1968) will probably be on their 50th anniversary, in 2016
– It will answer more Moffatt-era questions than it poses (yeah right!).