The other week, my shoes (which I’d only had since late december) started to leak water at the back. I wasn’t prepared to buy some new ones so soon, so I attempted repairs… first persuading dad to stick some leftover sealant from the building of the new front door* in them.
After that predictably didn’t work, I tried repairing them with some strange tape I found at work, it was more like slightly-thicker tinfoil with glue on it:
Actually called “Hippo Tape”, a hippo is stronger than a duck, right?
After that predictably didn’t work, I used good old duck tape:
That worked for a few days, but eventually frayed. I then used some even wierder tape I found, it’s very thick and tarry, being used for holding down roofing material! Unfortunately, you’re probably supposed to burn it on with a heat gun, or else stick it on on a summer’s day and leave it to cure for hours or days. Sticking it to barely-dried, dirty shoes didn’t really work. It didn’t fray very much, though, and certainly kept the water out, but soon just came off as one solid heel-shaped lump.
After that… I just went down JD Sports and got some discounted Dunlop Safety boots. Now those last for ages!
*-he’s replaced a large area of double-layered brick and double glazing with single glazing and thin wood. Ah yes, the one thing I’ve been thinking this winter is that the house was too warm. Oh also the new lock on the door is utterly stupid. You have to pull the door outwards, push the handle down, put the key in, push the handle down again, turn the key, push the handle down again, turn the key a bit more, and push the handle down a bit further. Hope you don’t have only one hand free…